To correctly place rational numbers (fractions or decimals, both positive and negative) on a number line Prior Knowledge:
Ordering rational numbers. Time Required:
15 minutes for set-up, 15 minutes for class activity. Materials Needed:
- Index cards
- Clothes pins, paper clips, or tape
- Prepare index cards with various fractions (or decimals), improper fractions, and mixed numbers (both positive and negative). Each card should only have one number printed on it.
- String the clothesline across the room, having – 1, 0, and 1 already placed on the line, allowing enough space for the children to attach their cards between the numbers.
- As the students walk into the room, hand them an index card and a clothespin. Tell them to clip their index card in the correct place on the clothesline.
- After the class is finished and seated, have a class discussion on the accuracy of the placement of the cards and make any necessary corrections.