- Change subtraction to “adding the opposite” when necessary.
- Do the distributive property on each side.
- Combine like terms on each side.
- Get the variable terms on the same side of the equation.
- Add or subtract the one variable term to get it to the side of the variable term with the larger coefficient.
- Move the number term by adding or subtracting.
- Add if the number term is negative.
- Subtract if the number term is positive.
- Move the coefficient by multiplying or dividing.
- If the variable terms cancel on both sides.
- The answer is no solution if the variable terms cancel and a false statement remains.
- The answer is all real numbers if the variable terms cancel and a true statement remains.